Roundtable - Leaving Money on the Table: The Challenge of Unspent Federal Grants
The goal of this roundtable is to convene a cross-section of leaders from the public and private sector to explore the challenges of unspent federal grants in the context of the intergovernmental transfers system in the United States. In a 2015 report, the Government Accountability Office called attention to this problem in fiscally distressed municipalities and in a more recent report estimated that almost one billion dollars in federal grants are currently unspent. We seek to raise awareness of the problem and catalyze solutions-oriented conversations across leaders from all levels of government, the private sector, and non-profit sector stakeholders who work with municipalities.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Kil Huh, Senior Director, State and Local Fiscal Health, Pew Charitable Trusts
- Ben Metcalf, Director, California State Department of Housing and Community Development
- Thomas James, Assistant Director, Government Accountability Office
- Natalie Keegan, Research Manager, Congressional Research Service
- Betsy Gardner, Northeastern University
- Kurt Wilson, City Manager, Stockton, California
- Mike Grigalonis, Chief Operating Officer, Chester County Economic Development Council, Pennsylvania
- Patrick Jordan, Deputy Director, National Resource Network
- Toby Rittner, President and CEO, Council of Development Finance Agencies
- Ramesh Advani, Former Director, CPAT Federal Grants Management, state of Massachusetts
- Carol Kraus, Director of Grant Accountability and Transparency Unit, state of Illinois
- Laurie Petrone, Director of Grants Management, state of Rhode Island
- George "Mac" McCarthy, President and CEO, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
- John Hill, Chief Financial Officer, City of Detroit, Michigan
- John Hageman, Chief of Staff to the CFO, City of Detroit, Michigan
- David Cibrian, Managing Director, Brevet Capital
- Greg Dunkle, Executive Vice President, Tutor Perini Corp.
- Merril Oliver, Director, Maryland Governor’s Grants Office
This event is free to attend, but space is limited and registration is required. Please contact Jenna DeAngelo at email@example.com for more information.