2019 Professional Certificate in Municipal Finance - Dallas
Events in Detroit, Stockton, Flint, and Puerto Rico highlight the severe challenges related to fiscal systems that support public services and the continued stress they face given local governments' shrinking revenue streams.
Whether you need to better understand how to financing infrastructure projects, public-private partnerships, new approaches to debt and municipal securities, or leading land-based finance strategies, this Professional Certificate in Municipal Finance will give you the skills and insights you need as you advance your career in urban planning, real estate, treasury, or economic development.
Created by Harris Public Policy's Center for Municipal Finance and the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, this three day program provides a thorough foundation in municipal finance with a focus on urban planning and economic development. This course will include modules on the following topics:
- Urban Economics and Growth
- Intergovernmental Fiscal Frameworks, Revenues, Budgeting
- Capital Budgeting/Accounting and Infrastructure Maintenance
- Debt/Municipal Securities
- Land-Based Finance/Land Value Capture
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Cost Benefit Analysis – Across Public Finance Instruments
- Fiscal Impact Analysis
Participants will learn how to effectively apply tools of financial analysis to make strategic decisions and gain an improved understanding about the interplay among finance, urban economics and public policy as it relates to urban planning and economic development.
Upon completion of the program, participants will receive a Certificate in Municipal Finance.
Who Should Attend
Those with the following experience will be given preference for admission:
- New to senior-level urban planners who work in both the private and public sectors as well as individuals in the treasury, economic development, and land development industry at large. Relevant job titles include:
- Urban Planners
- Community and Economic Development staff
- Developers and real estate professionals
- Real Estate Attorneys
- Treasury and Finance professionals